Stop Pestering Me! Tips for resisting pester power
• Avoid eating junk food yourself
• Don’t automatically turn on the TV when you get home or leave it on as background noise
• Limit children’s small-screen time (including internet and computer games) to less than 2 hours daily
• Tape children’s favourite shows and fast-forward through the ad breaks later – or use the mute button during ads
• Ensure children understand that personal information they provide online may not be secure (this includes registering in children’s sections of food companies’ websites or competitions – companies may use this information to target your child for future marketing)
To read more about pester power and to see what experts like nutritionist Kathy Chapman have to say about junk food advertising, click here.